Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Oatmeal Raisins Cookies


I have this thing about being handicapped when it comes to baking or cooking with approximated volume like one cup, tablespoon etc. Being a more science background person, I believe in weighing things or use the exact ml or litre. That is why when I see recipes with volume, I get a little lazy to try because I know I will end up having to convert them or measure them by weight.

A while ago, a fellow foodie, Jo let me try her delicious oatmeal cookies and she got it online from simplyrecipes.com. Greg loves it so I know I have to make it. Anyway, this sort of item is always good to make in bulk (well 20 pieces is bulk for only two of us) and to keep in cookie jars for later consumption or whenever we need emergency quick bites. Sort of in case of emergency break glass.

But the recipe is one of those done in volume. The following is my version of conversion into weight.

Make 18-20 pieces
225 gm of unsalted butter
120 gm of brown or castor sugar
2 no of med eggs
1 tbsp of vanilla
225 gm plain or multi purpose flour/plain flour
1/2 teasp of nutmeg powder
1/2 teasp of cinnamon powder
1 teasp of salt
1 teasp of baking soda
360 gm of rolled oats *
125 gm of dried fruits (raisins, cranberries, sultanas, apricots)*
50gm of nuts (walnuts, almonds)*
If you can find the organic version, use that. Maybe it is psychology but it probably will be a healthier option. I use organic rolled oats from Love Organic BDC, organic cranberries and raisins from UNACO and some walnuts.

1) Cream butter and sugar till fluffy. Add egg one at a time. Continue creaming till even and smooth.

2) Sift flour, nutmeg, cinammon, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Continue working with machine, add into butter mixture. Add oats, nuts and fruits. Stir to well mixed.

3) Spoon onto a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Bake a preheat oven of 180 deg celcius without fan for 18-20 min for softer chewier cookies or 25-30 min for crunchier type.


Happy Baking!

No comments:

Nuffnang Ad