Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Melbourne Culture on Bourke Street

Melbourne has always been known as one of the best cities to live in. With a population of about 3.8 million, it is a melting pot of diversity, a meeting of different cultures, art & most importantly, to the readers of this blog, food. :)
And one of the busiest streets that you can find, & should go to when you're in Melbourne, would have to be Bourke Street. For the shopping-mad tai-tais, this is the epicenter of their universe.




If you are a pure-blooded tai-tai, it will rock your world.

Nee was rocking. She practically bought the whole Satch clothing line.

And she also bought several culinary weapons at Myers I think and it is only Day2.


I think the Royal Malaysian Customs Department would be very happy to receive us when we come home. The whole place is now decorated in anticipation for the big holiday rush.






These are the trams that run right through the middle of the road, even when people are still walking.
I guess they're just too slow to be able to inflict any injuries to any unsuspecting tai-tais, who would be immortal at a time like this anyway.

This is the place to hang out, with a warm cup of coffee in your hands, let lose, & watch the world go by.



The one thing that I enjoyed the most here were the street performers. This particular one was a wierd mix of all the wrong things in the wrong place.

He's a pure-born & bred Japanese who speaks English with a Japanese twang, sings American blues like an American, in Melbourne. He was singing in 2006 the last time we were here. Now he's also performing in the local bars & pubs & he's also selling his professionally recorded CD album for AUD20.




Very talented, he sings, plays the slide guitar & the harmonica & the bass drum, all at the same time. I gave him a dollar so that it'd make me feel better about taking his picture.

5 comments:

William said...

Are you having official duty at Swinburne? Drop by South Australia for a weekend if you can.

Nessie @ bakingequalslove said...

Wow these photos are ah-mazing! what kind of camera do you use? :)

Greg Wee said...

Umm, thanks for the compliment but I am not worthy. It was realy point & shoot kind of photography. I had to buy a new camera in KL before the Melb trip cos I left my Nikon coolpix at home! So I bought this Canon 450D & I have yet to learn how to play with the dials. I just thought that the photos were so-so. But thanks anyway.

Nessie @ bakingequalslove said...

You are so modest! I think they are really good - you must have a good eye for shapes and the lighting is perfect...so moody and dramatic. I especially like the one down the narrow ally :)

Puppixel said...

Thanks for thiss blog post

Nuffnang Ad