I don't know the origin of this noodle dish but some say it is Fuzhou. Since I have never been there, I cannot proclaim it as so. But it is certainly our favourite dish. It's so easy to cook yet so tasty. The combination of spicy sweet meat sauce with refreshing cucumber just blend so well. Hmmm... Just Imagine! Between Greg and I, we can wallop the whole dish.
500gm of yellow egg noodle
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tbsp of oil
1) Wash the noodle well if you buy the outside ones. Boil noodle in water mixed with salt and oil till cook. Approximately 5 min or so. Set aside in a nice serving bowl.
300gm of chicken or pork mince
1 no of med green chilli, cut to small pcs, deseeded if you dont like it spicy
1 no of med red chilli, cut to small pcs, deseeded if you dont like it spicy
1 no of large cucumber, cut into thin strips
1 tbsp of minced garlic
3 tbsp of oil
2) Place cucumber strips all around noodle.
3) Heat up wok and add oil. Stir fry garlic till fragrant but not burnt. Add meat and chillis. Continue stir frying.
1 1/2 tbsp of bean paste (tou pang jang)
1 tsp of hoisin sauce
3 tbsp of oyster sauce
1 tsp of soya sauce
1 1/2tbsp of sugar
1 tbsp of cornstarch + 2-3 tbsp of water
some pepper to taste
4) Mix all the seasoning till combined. Add to 3. Simmer till the meat is cooked. Taste to see if you like the level of spiciness and sweetness.
5) Pour on top of the noodle. Serve.
It makes good party dish.