It would be horrible if muffins were cute little creatures cos I would be eating them.
Nee's batch of banana muffins came out like this today.
It was still warm when I walloped one. The top part was crispy and the inside was more spongy soft and still moist. Actually anything with banana taste good. And this one was perfect. It's a definitely-can-sell. Can open muffin franchise - Stuffin Muffin! 100 flavour combinations! Mix and Match and wait for it to bake! Comes in different shapes such as Classic, Mushroom and Atomic Bomb.
NEE: Muffins conjured up little cup cakes which can be eaten as breakfast or just plain snacks. There are make easy by all the instant muffin mixes, which we can find in supermarkets and baking grocers stores. But it is actually relatively easy to make you dont really need to resort to instant mixes.
American muffins can be divided up into two categories ~ the bread like muffin n the cake like ones. The bread like ones are in the category of quick bread but it is not leavened like our usual bread products with yeasts. It is lower in sugar and butter which gives the bread like texture. Cakey muffins are the common ones we see in bakeries, cafes and the high sugar and butter content gives it the cakiness and it tastes fairly similar to our usual butter cakes.
I usually make the bread-like muffins and store them in containers so that Greg can grab anytime especially when he gets home from work and dinner is not quite ready yet, and no he is still not 80 kg. My hubby is a drink-butter-also-cannot-get-fat kinda person. At least he does not look malnutritioned nowadays. If I am lazy or when he gets up late, this can be his breakfast on his way out of the door.
All you need is:
some measuring spoons
This recipe calls for the muffin method.
245 gm of plain flour
80 gm of castor sugar
40 gm of brown sugar
1 teasp of baking powder
1 teasp of baking soda
1/4 teasp of salt
110gm of melted butter, let cooled.
2 large eggs
3-4 very ripe bananas.
1) Put all dry ingredients in a bowl. Sift them well.
2) Whisk eggs into the cool melted butter. Mix well.
3) Mash bananas. This is a fantastic way of getting rid of too ripe bananas. You just mashed them with fork or a potato masher. Mix into wet ingredients in (2).
4) Pour wet mixture to the dry ones. In about 15 strokes or so mix the mixture. It will look lumpy. Do not mix them again til smooth. Lumpy batter is good. No overmixing. Overmixing will create dry, stringy muffins as you have over developed the gluten in the flour.
5) Scope into muffin pans or muffin cups to slightly more than 2/3 of the cup height. Preheat oven to 170 deg cel with fan. Bake for about 25 minutes. Test for doneness with toothpicks
Good breadlike muffins should be:
Should almost double in size during baking.
Should have a dome top
Feels rather light for its size.
Inside is light yet moist.
Recipe can be used for other flavours. But the balance between wet and dry must be good. Say if you use jam like strawberry, you can slightly increase the flour. If you use butter cubes, you must add liquid like milk or buttermilk to make up for the liquid bit.
Can use other fats like oil instead of butter.